Mushroom burger is my fav burger in the world.
In Melbourne, the Prahran market mushroom burger (pop up every saturday morning only) & the Grilled Mushroom burgers are my favs!
The Prahran one, served with chargrilled Barbie Portobello shroom on fresh sourdough bread & mayo with a spicy kick. *Real FINE*
While the Grilled one, served with flat jumbo shroom with fresh salad, roasted capsicum from jar, pesto, mayo, cheese, served on a toasted bun (traditional or panini) *health KICK*
Personally I prefer the prahran burger more, but practicality wise, it is quite difficult to get since it’s only there on Saturday. I wish they have a proper store…. I would go every week!
This week I decided to spread my love of Shroom Shroom burgers with my family and friends. The Piccoloseeds held a Birthday Dinner at home and made SHROOM SHROOM burgers as main course.
Our guests really enjoyed the burgers!!! It was juicy, fresh, and packed with flavours of pesto, mayo, stir fried onions. The Provolone cheese is a bonus – like mozzarella but more mature.
Portobello Burgers with Pesto & Provolone
- 1/2 cup purchased pesto
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 sourdough, whole grain, or ciabatta rolls, split horizontally
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stemmed, dark gills scraped out
- Olive oil
- 1/2 – 1 onion, sliced, fried
- 4 cups salad leaves/ arugula leaves
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Garden Salad and sweet potato chips to serve
- If you want to serve Burgers with garden salad and sweet potato chips – Make it first. I used mixed leaves, tomatoes, asparagus, with balsamic vinegar for the salad. 4 small sweet potatoes, cut into chippies and baked for ~1 hour or until dried and crisp.
- Stir pesto and mayonnaise in small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill rolls, cut side down, until lightly toasted. Transfer to plates. Spread grilled side of rolls with pesto mayonnaise.
- Brush mushrooms on both sides with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, rounded side up, 4 minutes. Turn mushrooms over. Cover and grill until mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes. Place 1 mushroom on each roll bottom. Top each with enough fried onion to cover, salad and cheese. Press roll tops over and serve with garden salad & Chips.
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
If you haven’t tried mushroom burgers yet – Please try one. It’s worth it! My photo taking skills are horrible. I should stop relying on iphones or take photos while drinking!