I am a big fan of Wombok, also known as Chinese Cabbage. It has a mild & sweet flavour, and it takes up all the flavour from cooking and from dressings, which is what I love about it! At home we always cook it in stir-fry with ginger or a meat dish. In Korea, it is most popular as Kimchi which is pickled wombok.
This Wombok Salad (Vietnam origin im guessing) is my favourite Wombok recipe in summer time. It’s got massive flavours, and GOD, the crunchiness from all the ingredients is heaven – Especially the noodles and peanuts !
Give this recipe a try. It’s flavoursome, simple, healthy, packed with fresh ingredients, and can be prepared ahead of time.
Crunchy Asian Salad
- 1/2 small Chinese cabbage (wombok) shredded
- 1 large carrot peeled, sliced thinly into batons
- 1 red capsicum seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves torn
- 1/2 cup toasted peanuts chopped
- 100 g pkt fried crunchy noodles
I added 250g sliced mushrooms and pan-fried tofu, because I don’t eat meat, and needed some protein and extra flavour.
However, you can serve it with any chicken/ pork. Coconut chicken and pork belly is a popular combination!
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 fresh long red chilli deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2-3 tsp sesame oil
- Place all salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Dressing: In a jug, whisk together all ingredients.
- Pour over salad just before serving and toss well to coat.